This area takes its name from the first battle, between the guanches of the menceyato and the troops of the Adelantado Alfonso Fernández de Lugo, on May 31st of 1494. The guanches defeated the Spanish troops after a bloody battle from dawn to dusk. Those that survived remember the area as a slaughter place.
When the conquest finished, the settlement sprang up around the first church built in honour of the World Saviour, that was named a parochial church in 1615 by the bishop don Antonio Carrionero.
A Franciscan hospice, operated by three friars, existed here, and was suppressed by royal clause in the XVII century.
Several temples were built, all in commemoration of the battles with the guanches: the one of San Antonio, near the place of the historic battle, the one of San Diego next to the sea, and the one of the Road Cross (Cruz del Camino).
Places of Historical Interest
Ancient Franciscan Hospice
Doña Sixta House
Temple of Our Lady Guide
Temple of San Antonio de Abad
Pine Fountain (Fuente del Pino)
Ship House (La Casa del Barco)
Parochial Church of the Saviour (El Salvador)